Welcome to the Ohio AME
Located on the field at Ashland County airport (3G4) our goal is to support the aviation medical needs of professional pilots in a relaxed office setting and make the medical certification process as painless as possible. We work with the FAA Great Lakes Regional Flight Surgeons Office and the FAA Aviation Medical Certification Division when necessary as your advocate to reduce delays involving complex aeromedical issues, provided those issues do not impact aviation safety concerns. While our special interest is providing convenient appointment scheduling to and advising professional pilots regarding aviation related healthcare issues we provide the same service to general aviation pilot as well.
Ray Steinhauser MD
- Senior AME
- Provides first class medicals
- Contracted with the FAA to perform ATC medical certification
- Commercial pilot and aircraft owner
- Former USAF Flight Surgeon
- Personally performs all aspects of your exam including blood pressure, color vision screening, visual acuity, and audiometric testing when required
- Farnsworth Lantern testing and Dvorine Pseudoisochromatic Color Plate testing available on site, which are FAA color vision tests found in very few AME offices but provide the highest likelihood of success pilots that have difficulty with the standard Ishihara Plates most AMEs use for color vision screening
- Member of the Civil Aviation Medical Association, AOPA, and previous contributor to the Journal of Aviation Space and Environmental Medicine
Susan Steinhauser RN
Why Choose Dr. Steinhauser as your AME
I am a pilot, former military flight surgeon, perform over 800 aviation medical examinations a year and personally performs your visual acuity, color vision screening, audiometric screening, and ECG to insure all testing is done appropriately with no operator error. I am also an anesthesiologist and while I have several weekdays during the month for AME appointments I also have evening and weekend appointments available. As a high volume AME I teleconference with the FAA flight surgeons several times a week regarding complex aviation medical issues and to expidite medicals when possible that might otherwise be deferred for 6 to 8 weeks awaiting an FAA decision. Have a question? Call anytime, 419-908- 5389. There is no charge for a telephone consultation. My job as your AME is to verify that you meet the FAA medical standards and assist with certification issues related to any concurrent medical problems.